Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Just park it or burn it, already..."


My dad always got impatient when he had to park a car. One can't really blame him, though. He had six children, the first five being girls, followed by the only boy, and yes, we tried our darnedest to turn him into one of us. Poor Shad. Good thing he survived and is so very manly now. (He makes me say that).

So, imagine my poor dad being stuck in an awesome extra, extra long banana-yellow station wagon, complete with wood side panels, listening to five girls argue over who stole the lip gloss. The aforementioned lip gloss would end up in kiss marks on the windows of our sweet ride along with our names we wrote on the windows after we deliberately fogged them up. We had to mark our territory. You know, save our seats for the ride home.

My dad would eventually turn as red as his hair after driving around the parking lot a few times desperately looking for a parking spot and his chance to escape the banana. He didn't care if he had to walk us for ten blocks to get to where we needed to be, he just wanted out of the car. Inevitably, though, he would get stuck behind someone who couldn't seem to get their car into a suitable parking spot. My dad could park that banana anytime, anywhere so he was steamed when others didn't display the same parking finesse he was blessed with. Those people always ended up in front of dad.

It was his test.

It was his Achilles heel.

It was the thorn in his side.

He would explode soon and we all knew it, we sensed it. The bickering stopped and we all looked for the offending car to bestow upon the luckless driver the devastating Pierson glare in unison.

All was silent. We knew what was coming. We waited for it.

"JUST PARK IT OR BURN IT!!!"

My dad had erupted. Red faced and red haired, he looked just like a volcano and I swear I saw steam come out from his ears once.

As if the driver heard the volcanic eruption behind him, he meekly parked his car so the driver of the banana could park like the pro he was. Now my dad could relax and turn back to his normal color--pink. He could laugh now and focus on not losing us at the store.

My reasons for creating a blog are simple.

I want to park the car.

I want to stop circling the parking lot waiting for something to happen. I want to savor my time here with my family. I want to relish it, soak in every moment. I want to tatoo it into my lame memory, so I never forget it. I'm hoping this helps keep a record of these moments, because one thing I've learned lately, is that one's story, one's memories, are our most precious legacy. I don't want to lose them.

So, this is me parking the car.

3 comments:

  1. I too have had the privilege of spending quality freeway time with your dad, and it was quite an experience ( a different experience, but an experience nonetheless). Thanks for the laugh this morning... I loved your post!! And mention of the Pierson glare..... gave me the early morning shudders!! I can't wait to read more!!! Love YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB! I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Wow this brings back meories. Love you. Writes lots so I too can have blog envy. xoxoxoxo -Rach

    ReplyDelete